Monday, May 4, 2015

Not everything can be learned from a textbook

Blog #7
Cultural comparisons (5)

After being out of the United States for 52 days I feel like I can talk thoroughly about the cultural differences I have noticed here in the Czech Republic in comparison to the United States. I have been taught in school some differences and heard about them on TV but there is nothing like being totally immersed in a different culture. In a way it changes you, and you can't get this knowledge through a textbook. 

Although I have traveled to lots of different countries during my time in Europe, Olomouc is starting to feel like home and I am really getting used to it! There were cultural differences that jumped out at me right away and others that took a while to notice. 

Some cultural differences that I noticed right away..
  1. The buildings aren't as modern on the outside. They have a more gothic/medieval time period look to them. Lots of these buildings have been preserved and others have been reconstructed to look like buildings from that time period. In some areas there are more modernized buildings going up. For example in Olomouc, there is one skyscraper on the skyline. There is much debate as to whether these buildings should be allowed or not because some say it takes away from the historical aspect of the city. 
  2. The vehicles people drive are much smaller, almost everybody drives cars. I have yet to see a truck or anything bigger than a crossover type vehicle. 
  3. Smoking is allowed almost everywhere.
  4. The main form of travel throughout the Czech Republic is trains. I have never ridden in a train until I came here.
  5. They do not use condiments like we do in the United States. This one was really tough for me at first! (I eventually just bought a bottle of ketchup at the grocery store and started carrying it around with me because you have to pay a lot for a little amount of it at restaurants.)
  6. They play English music almost everywhere. The same songs that are hits back home everyone loves here too. I have heard "Uptown Funk" probably one too many times but I can't complain because it is usually the only English we will hear in places outside of school.
  7. Tipping at restaurants is much different. Waitresses don't depend on tips for their salary so it is not expected to leave a tip. A lot of the time though we round up 5-10 Czech Korunas.
Some differences that took me a while to pick up on..
  1. People don't really smile when you walk by them on the street, when you're checking out at the grocery store, or ordering at a restaurant. Coming from small-town Nebraska this was very different for me. It was awkward at first when I would make eye contact with someone and smile like I would back home. A lot of the time people give you a really weird look or look the other way really fast. 
  2. According to some studies, the Czech Republic is the most atheist country in the world. We learned that Prague is about 80% atheist which is so sad because there are so many beautiful churches that do not get used. In class we have talked a lot about this and a lot of families believe there is a higher power but do not believe in a specific God. Also, many people like to keep this part of their lives private anyways so it is hard to know exact percentages for sure when it comes to religion here.
  3. There aren't any drive thru fast food restaurants. Here in Olomouc, there is a McDonald's but it doesn't have a drive thru and that is about the only American-like fast food restaurant in the whole city. 
  4. Things we take for granted back home including bathrooms, water and condiments are not free here. It is your lucky day if you can find a bathroom without having to buy something to use it or find a place that gives you a free glass of water for your meal.
  5. The term "the customer is always right" doesn't really apply here. It is pretty much the exact opposite actually.
  6. People here don't seem to be on a tight schedule. In America, everything seems to be go-go-go all the time. Here people take long lunch breaks, sit down and drink their coffee instead of getting it "to go", rarely work on weekends and seem much more laid back.
  7. Health care is unbelievably cheap in comparison to ours. We have talked about this in class some, and although I don't know all the details behind why it is so different here one of our professors gave a statistic that the United States spends almost triple the amount on health care in comparison to many European countries. I am especially interested in learning more about this topic because of my medical career path!
All of these things have really made me step back and look at the American culture. It has been the only thing I have really known for 20 years and living in a place where things are so different has opened my eyes to a different way of thinking. The "American way" isn't always the right way as many of us tend to think. I was one of those people before coming here and I am so thankful that I have had this opportunity to change that.

I have heard that after an experience like this you go through culture shock again going back to America. I can believe it now because I am getting so used to this way of living! The only two things I am really missing (besides my family and friends) is a car to get around in and some foods. I think I have forgotten what ranch and buffalo sauce taste like so I am really looking forward to that. Other than that though, I am completely content with the Czech culture and way of life and will miss it when I return to the United States.


No comments:

Post a Comment